Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hunter S. Thompson an American Badass

     American Bad Asses are in short supply (unlike American Fat Asses) and unfortunately as of 2005 we lost one of the greats.  Hunter S. Thompson was a writer and the pioneer of "Gonzo Journalism."  He lived up in Aspen in his home base dubbed "Owl Farm" where he entertained quite a few guests (including Conan O'Brien, John Cusack, and Johnny Depp to name a few).
     Basically, this dude did it all.  He rode with the Hell's Angels when they were around 100 members and wrote a book about it.  He followed politicians, went completely out of his head on dozens of drugs on the Las Vegas strip and wrote a best-selling book afterward, rode motorcycles as fast as he could, wrote for Rolling Stone, and misused firearms (this guy would shoot propane tanks for fun).
     As far as I'm concerned you NEED to read his work (start off with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" the movie or book), maybe watch a documentary on him (I recommend "Gonzo"), and if you're anything like me try and live your life a little bit more "Hunter."
     It's no surprise that I'm rebuilding my motorcycle, an English major, and buying a voice recorder.  I'm serious, go out there and start digesting that man's words.

One of his best quotes:

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” ~Hunter S. Thompson

1 comment:

  1. Huh, I think I will go read his stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete